The White Hart, Hinkshay
|Directory||Year / Page No||Name||Occupation||Residence||Street/Road|
|Post Office||1863 Page 681||Summers Elizabeth (Miss)||Publican||White Hart||Hinkshay|
|Slaters||1868 Page 30||Summers Elizabeth||Public||White Hart||Hinkshay|
|Post Office's||1870 Page 48||Summers Elizabeth (Miss)||Publican||White Hart||Hinkshay|
|Edward Cassey||1871 Page 139||Summers Elizabeth||Publican||White Hart inn||Hinkshay|
|Slaters||1880 Page 38||Breeze John||White Hart||Hinkshay|
|Kelly's||1891 Page 306||Breeze John||Publican & grocer||White Hart P.H||Hinkshay|
|Kelly's||1895 Page 75||Breeze John||Publican||White Hart P.H||Hinkshay|
|Kelly's||1900 Page 78||Breeze John||Publican||White Hart P.H||Hinkshay|
|Kelly's||1909 Page 84||Breeze George||Publican||White Hart P.H||Hinkshay|
|Kelly's||1913 Page 87||Harper Walter||Publican||White Hart P.H||Hinkshay|
|Kelly's||1926 Page 88||Harper Walter||Publican||White Hart P.H||Hinkshay|
|Kelly's||1934 Page 89||Harper Walter Rd Oscar||Publican||White Hart P.H
|Kelly's||1937 Page 88||Harper Walter Rd Oscar||Publican||White Hart P.H
|Kelly's||1941 Page 87||Harper Walter Rd Oscar||Publican||White Hart P.H
|Census||1861||Summers Elizabeth||Licensed victualler||Tom & Jerry||Hinkshay|
|Census||1891||John Breeze||Licensed victualler||White Hart||Hinkshay|
This photograph was taken of the White Hart from off the “Jerry Mount” at Hinkshay. The road that ran between, and which crossed the Hinkshay Road, was called the “Jerry Rails” and the pub was knick-named the “Jerry”. Also, a furnace near Stirchley Pools was called the “Jerry Furnace”. Several reasons are given for this name including one that claimed that German prisoners of war laid the rails. This cannot be true because the rails, or tramway, were in existence well before the name “Jerry “was adopted for German soldiers. It can clearly be seen in the 1861 census, that the pub was originally called the “Tom and Jerry” and so we can safely assume that the name stems from this, and that the other places, and road, were named after the pub and not the other way round.
Tom and Jerry” was a name formerly used for roistering young men about town. In modern times the names are familiar from the cat and mouse cartoon characters. They first appeared in an animated cartoon called Puss Gets the Boot in 1940.
Tom and Jerry” is also the name of a hot mixed drink containing rum, brandy, egg, nutmeg and sometimes milk.
For more information on the origins of Tom and Jerry
The pub is mentioned in the 1896 Licensing returns, when John Breeze was landlord, and is listed in the 1841 census, where Thomas Summers was landlord. In Bagshaw’s 1851 directory we find Thomas Summers listed as a Maltsters, Farmer and Victualler at Hinkshay. The 1861 census clearly names the pub as Tom & Jerry, but in 1871 it is called the White Hart. In Kelly’s 1913 and 1926 directories, Walter Harper was the landlord.
The Jerry closed in 2007. It was eventually destroyed by fire and demolished.