The Unicorn Public House, Dawley Bank
The only mention we have of the Unicorn is from a newspaper cutting dated 1954. The cutting is reporting the one hundred and fifty year anniversary of the Methodist Sunday School at Lawley Bank. The report was referring to the fact that at the beginning of the 19th century, there was no Sunday school at Lawley Bank, although there was a school in the club room at the Unicorn Public House for the children from Malinslee, run by Mr. Botfield. Malinslee Church was being built at the time.
From the sketch above, we can see that the Unicorn buildings are standing to the left of the Baptist Chapel and this would place the building where Old Office Close is now. We can also place this area in the same position as Unicorn Fold that is mentioned in the 1861 census. The Unicorn was one of eight pubs within sight of the Baptist Chapel at Dawley Bank and the building on the far right of the picture is the Queen’s Arms.