Home Directories Mines Archive People Postcards Pubs

Southall Colliery

Owner: Coalbrookdale Company.
By 1817 Southall colliery had been sunk.
Southall colliery had closed by 1882.

Southall Colliery

1882 Map

Side by side map of    Southall Colliery

Bridgnorth Journal and South Shropshire Advertiser. - Saturday 22 October 1864

Fatal Pit Accident. – An inquest was held on Wednesday, at the house of Mrs. Parsons, before R. D. Nevill, Esq., coroner, on the body of a man named John Guest aged 40 years, who was killed on the previous day by a fall of earth in a pit called the Southall pit, belonging to the Coalbrookdale Company, at the Stockings, near Dawley. The deceased was at his usual work in the pit on the day in question, when about a ton and a half of earth fell from the roof and crushed him to death. It was stated that the roof was properly supported as near to the face of the work as possible, and that the fall of earth came down between the last prop and the face. Verdict, “accidental death.”

Shrewsbury Chronicle - Friday 12 February 1869

Coroner’s Inquest. – On Tuesday last an inquest was held at the house of Mr. Thomas Hughes, of the Stocking, before J. Bidlake, Esq., deputy coroner, on the body of William Moseley, collier, who, while at work at the Southall pits on Saturday last, building a “cog” a part of the roof, which was of rock, fell down on his back, inflicting such severe injuries that he died in about an hour after. After hearing the evidence of several witnesses, the jury returned a verdict of accidentally killed.

Eddowes's Journal, and General Advertiser for Shropshire, and the Principality of Wales - Wednesday 26 September 1877

Pit Accident. - On Wednesday last a boy named Edward Seabrey, residing at High Street, Dawley, and employed at the Southall pit, belonging to the Coalbrookdale Company, met with a serious accident. Seabrey is engaged at the pit as a “danner” and on Wednesday morning he was in the act of stooping over the basket when a piece of earth fell from the roof, striking him on the back of his head, and causing his face to come in violent contact with the edge of a square, from which he sustained fearful injuries to his face. He was immediately taken up the pit and conveyed home and attended by the field doctor, under whose unremitting attention and treatment the sufferer is progressing favourably.