The Stag stood at No 2, Burton Street, directly opposite Station Road. We do not know if it is the same building as that in the photograph, but it stood on the site of Dawley Police Station. It is first mentioned in the 1871 census where Benjamin Edwards was the Inn Keeper. The pub is not named in 1871, but its position in the listings at the bottom of Charles Hay, is a positive indication. William Kent was there in 1881, but no mention of pub or police station in 1891. The police station was listed in 1901; where William Roberts was the police sergeant.
Burton Street was not named in the 1871 census but the pub was listed in High Street. The area where the pub was situated was referred to as “the top of the green” and Dawley Green was the original name for Dawley.