The Forester’s Arms, Horsehay.
The Forester’s Arms, situated at Horsehay, was originally called the Craven Arms but was listed in the 1856 Post Office Directory as the Forester’s Arms. A large part of Lord Craven’s estate, who was Lord of the Manor of Little Dawley, was sold in 1854, and so it looks as if it was at this time that Lord Forester bought it and renamed it after himself. We cannot be certain that we have got the right pub in the first two censuses because they are not named. But in 1841 and 1851, Mary Owen occupied a public house on Wellington Road at Horsehay that appeared to be in the same place and following the enumerator’s route, appears to be the Craven Arms, which was at number 5 Wellington Road, Horsehay. If the 1841 and 1851 entries had referred to the All Labour in Vain or the Peacock, then they would have been in Little Wenlock.
In 1861 the Foresters Arms was named and the occupier was John Machin. The Machin family remained at the Foresters for more than sixty years; John Machin’s son, Thomas was there in 1901, and his grandson, Cecil H Machin was the landlord in 1911 and in Kelly’s 1913 trade directory. Cecil was also there in 1920 and at this time he also ran the Midland Red Parcel Agency.
From the 1901 Return of Licensed Houses, it is claimed the pub was first licensed before 1815 and in 1901 the owner was Lord Forrester of Willey Park and the occupier was Thomas Machin.